The spokesperson of the Ademola Adeleke Governorship Campaign Council, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has vowed to defeat the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate and incumbent member of the House of Representatives for Oriade/Obokun Federal Constituency, Oluwole Oke, in the 2027 election.
Olajengbesi, who is the Accord Party candidate for the federal constituency, said his resolve was strengthened by the outcome of the recent Osun State governorship election, where he claimed to have defeated Wole Oke in the two local government areas that make up the constituency.
The legal practitioner and activist, in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday, said the result of the governorship election demonstrated that the electorate in Oriade/Obokun was ready for a change in representation.
ALSO READ: I may not support Tinubu’s re-election despite my uncle’s endorsement – Davido
According to him, Accord secured 21,343 votes against APC’s 14,863 votes in Oriade, while in Obokun, Accord polled 12,023 votes against APC’s 16,120.
He said the combined figures gave Accord 33,366 votes, compared with APC’s 30,983, representing a margin of 2,383 votes.
Olajengbesi said the figures were consistent with the governorship results published by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
He said the outcome had boosted his confidence ahead of the 2027 House of Representatives election, where he would be challenging Oke, who has represented the constituency in the National Assembly for several years.
“My ambition rests on several strategic arguments, shifting political dynamics, and grassroots narratives. I’m a necessary intervention against political monopoly,” he said.
Olajengbesi criticised what he described as the prolonged dominance of one individual in the constituency’s representation, arguing that it had limited opportunities for new ideas and leadership.
“Wole Oke has held the Green Chamber seat since 2003. A 24-year continuous recycling of leadership has stagnant ideas and stifled the growth of our constituency,” he said.
He argued that the constituency deserved fresh representation after what he described as almost a quarter-century of Oke’s presence in the House of Representatives.
“About a quarter-century in office by a single individual is undemocratic. Obokun/Oriade constituency deserves fresh representation,” he added.
Olajengbesi also alleged that Oke had previously reached an understanding with him and other constituency leaders to seek another term and subsequently support him in 2027.
He accused the incumbent of reneging on the alleged agreement, describing the development as a betrayal.
“Oke had previously pleaded with me and other constituency leaders to allow him to run a final time, promising to back me in 2027. He betrayed us and reneged on the agreement. This is the height of greed,” he alleged.
The Accord candidate said he would not step aside in 2027, declaring that he was determined to challenge the incumbent and secure the seat.
“In 2027, I will not surrender to him. I am a child of necessity,” Olajengbesi said.
The contest for the Oriade/Obokun Federal Constituency seat is expected to be one of the closely watched House of Representatives races in Osun State as political parties begin preparations for the 2027 general elections.
WATCH TOP VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
