Amid the ban on Sallah Durbar activities, the 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, on Tuesday, abandoned the traditional horse procession and instead travelled in a vehicle convoy to offer Sallah homage to Governor Abba Yusuf at the Kano Government House.
The emir also changed his routes from the Emir’s palace to the state road to the Government House, to avoid security breaches.
There had been anxiety among residents of the state, following the decision of the two rival emirs to hold the Sallah Durbar.
The 15th Emir of Kano, Alhaji (Dr) Aminu Ado Bayero, had written to the police command, informing it of the plan to have a Sallar Durbar procession during the Eid-el-Fitr festivities.
Also, Governor Abba Yusuf asked Emir Sanusi and the Kano Emirate to prepare to celebrate the Sallah Durbar this year.
Sensing security implications, Bayero announced the cancellation of all Sallah Durbar activities this year.
The state Commissioner of Police, Adamu Bakori, also announced the ban of all forms of Sallah Durbar activities in the state, citing security concerns.
The development was welcomed by Emir Sanusi, who called for calm among residents.
On Tuesday, Sanusi ditched the traditional horse-riding Sallah procession to the Government House and instead opted for a vehicle procession.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, Sanusi, speaking at the Government House, lauded the governor for prioritising education, healthcare, agriculture, and security in the state.
“We’ve come to pay Sallah homage and thank you for your outstanding work, especially in education and agriculture, where you’ve provided subsidised modern farming implements.
“We are grateful to God for allowing us to witness this special moment, where we gather to greet the governor once again on the occasion of Sallah,” he said.
Sanusi commended members of the state House of Assembly for their lawful actions, which he said had restored sanity in the Emirate Council.
“We are hopeful that the governor will continue to do well, and we urge local government chairmen to follow his example and complement his efforts,” the emir added.
Yusuf commended Sanusi for promoting the peaceful coexistence of the people in the state.
“We are thankful to God for sparing us to see this day. It’s a tradition that on a day like this, the emir, accompanied by his entourage, visits us to pay Sallah homage.
“We thank God for sparing us to complete our Ramadan fast in peace,” he said.
The governor expressed gratitude to the Emir and his entourage for their support and efforts to unite the people of Kano State.
“We appreciate the emir’s persistent calls against antisocial vices in the state. Our emir is a leader who genuinely cares for his people.
“His dedication to bringing together different Islamic sects is a remarkable achievement,” he added.
The governor described Kano as one of the most peaceful in Nigeria, adding that his administration would ensure that the peace was sustained.
“Everyone can see our tireless efforts to transform Kano into a megacity with well-maintained streets.
“I have challenged them (public officeholders) to a competition to motivate them to perform better for their constituents,” Yusuf said.